Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:25:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/00 10:23:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
apbbeijing@yahoo.com writes:

<< Do you regret exploring the potential of all these lenses? Sounds like a
 rewarding creative enterprise if it leads to the results you are after. >>

    No regrets, except that I can't seem to part with some of the lenses,
although I do not regularly use them.  Some have redeeming qualities that are
hard to dismiss.  On second thought, I do regret having dumped certain lenses
along the way.
    I agree with your overall assessment of Erwin's approach.  It is
consistent with his ethic.  I also question whether there is anything to be
gained in attempting to analyze or predict bokeh scientifically.  Knowledge
of one's own photographic tools is the key, and I agree that the process of
acquiring that understanding can be a rigorous one.  Go back and read the
oldest "how to" texts on photography.  They pretty consistently make this
point.
    As for myself, my main concern is to eliminate visual detritus from my
work, one way or another, not to become an afficianado of bokeh.  I also want
the balance and contrast between areas in and out of focus to be a component
of my work.
    If you will permit me to draw an analogy, I would submit that the most
efficient model for the catching of fish would resemble something like the
Russian fishing fleet.  In this context, there is no conceivable rationale
for the continuing existence of sport fishing or fly fishing.  Arguably, even
the independent commercial fishermen operating off the coasts of North
America should simply give up the struggle for survival, using their
obsolescent methods and tiny craft.
    I believe that most of us as photographers are neither commercial
fishermen nor fly fishermen in our approach to photography in general,  nor
any particular technique or facet specifically.  There is essentially a
continuum, and each photographer occupies a point or space somewhere on it.
    As for me, I am not a fly fisherman, at least with respect to the bokeh
question, but I cannot help admiring the dedication of those who may be.
Under any circumstances, their right to pursue their own ends, enjoy their
pursuits and share their insights with the rest of the photographic world
must be respected.
    They have already made a significant contribution in merely helping many
photographers to understand what had previously been only a vague, gnawing
uneasiness about the appearance of their own work, resulting from "bad"
bokeh.
We need to be pragmatic.  If we can eliminate such photographic malaise
simply by using different lenses, then we should by all means change lenses.
In this process, the empirical predominates over the hypothetical or
analytical.
    In theory, my Hexar had the potential, at least according to the
published report, to mimic the reproduction of a Leitz lens.  In practice, it
did not.  Call me a troglodyte if you wish, but I really did not need to know
why in order to remedy the problem or, for that matter, to sleep at night.
    I sold the camera and moved on.  Lens bad - sell lens - get good lens -
take pretty picture - be happy.  That's all the formula I needed.  If it
looks good, it is good!  By the way, I have since developed my private
understanding as to how MTF curves can indicate bad bokeh.  But that, as they
say, is a whole 'nother story.

Joe Sobel