Subject: Re: OT: Nachtwey (was [Leica] Re: Personal portfolios of misery
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:18:16 EDT

The only negative thing I saw in print was a review in the Village Voice
newspaper. But there was much discussion on the web on the subject; also in
private conversation with the former director of one of the top photo
agencies who knows Nachtwey personally.  The upshot of the Voice article was
that Nachtwey seems to place himself as superior to his subjects, who were
treated coldly. This is my personal opinion as well.  When you compare
Nachtwey to someone like Don McCullin (my favorite war photographer), the
lack of humanity comes through rather clearly. It's difficult for me not to
see Nachtwey's silent complicity in the suffering he documents. Arthur

Replies: Reply from "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: OT: Nachtwey (was [Leica] Re: Personal portfolios of misery)