Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: The art of the blanket cake eating statement...
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:31:16 -0700

At 11:35 PM 8/30/00 -0400, Austin Franklin wrote:

A whole bunch of stuff. but the following is completely wrong:

>The critical focus area of a 35mm SLR is typically a small spot in the
>center of the screen (possibly split image).  You would have to move your
>camera around and check the different parts of the image for focus...as
>best you can. I don't believe you can accurately check critical focus
>outside the center of the screen.

Ha! How could you possibly think that only the center of a GG is focusable?
This is absurd. Use a tripod, DOF preview, and check and correct focus on
all parts of the image, on all parts of the GG.

Do you think the GG is bent? It is dead flat, exactly like the film, and is
focusable everywhere.

Anybody out there have a GG that only focuses in the center?

Perhaps what you are using is NOT A GROUND GLASS, but one of those silly
screens that only has a center focusable area. In this case, I would advise
you to switch to something useful. A real GG screen. Then you will be able
to observe your DOF while stopped down. And focus all over the GG screen.

Oh yeah. Avoid those screens that have a split doohickey in the middle.
They black out when stopped down and are generally an annoyance by chopping
up the center of your observable GG image. I know... some of you folks like
them. But as Ted says "I like to see what the photograph is going to look
like. There's nothing like the plain, uncluttered, ground glass screen."
Focus anywhere, anytime.

Jim