Subject: [Leica] Re: Clarification of DOF pre-exposure visualization.
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:51:26 -0700

At 03:14 PM 8/31/00 +0000, Bryant wrote:
>Hi Luggers,
>
>    So I'm back to my original point.  The only way you can *really* know is
>to have the finished prints in hand, and remember the effect for next time.
>
>    Tom (The-Silly-Server's-Still-DOWN! :-()

Tom,

I'm very happy for you that you have determined a method that works for
you. That is all anyone wants. To figure out how to make it work for
themselves.

I, however, find it exceedingly difficult to coax mother nature and other
influences into repeating a gorgeous and/or memorable scene. I, therefore,
want to know that I have the goods at the time of the exposure. Not after I
get back to the lab, only to find out that I missed the mark.

There is no substitute for seeing it before you capture it. This, of
course, is not the MO of an M camera. But with an R, H, or L camera, it is
there for those who want to escape with the goods on difficult set-ups or
un-repeatable scenes. Obviously, not every photograph benefits from DOF
preview. But it is nice to have and use when the chips are down.

That's all. It is there for those who wish to indulge. My only point,
originally, was that it CAN be used to achieve a level of confidence that
exceeds winging it with tables and tests. Not that anyone HAS to use it.
Heaven forbid! DOF preview, on a GG screen, any format, is a godsend and
can be used, when needed, to eliminate re-shoots and eliminate filling the
circular file.

Doug Herr, neither uses DOF preview nor a tripod and uses long lenses.
400mm. His photographs of wildlife are exquisite. He has found his calling
and a Method of Operation (MO) that provides him with the goods.

Everyone works in their own way and hopefully, gets the goods and has fun
doing it.

EOF!

Jim