Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL .58
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 18:33:36 -0400

0.58x would not be, at least not with the current Leica M chassis and top
cover.  The Hexar (0.60x) just squeezes in a 28mm frame you can see with
glasses, but the Konica RF front window is a bit larger than on an M (and
flush-mounted, to boot).  It would be very surprising if Leica redid the body to
accomodate a low-mag, wide-field finder.

Of course if Leica retooled the body parts for a Hexar RF finder (answering a
lot of mysterious questions in the process), they wouldn't need to develop their
own optical system, which could be just as expensive if not more than a new top
plate or prism mount.

Does this mean they'll kill the M6 0.72?  If they don't, they'll just keep
cranking them out, they'll be kept repaired, and the market will be flooded,
making all of the existing ones less valuable.  144,000 units is already too
many.  That's more than many mass-produced rangefinders from the 1950s and
1960s.  The 0.58 gives Leica an out.

Krechtz@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/1/00 4:42:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:
>
> << What mag would it have to be to give us a frameline on the 24?
>  If they gave us one which would work for the 21 would they not give us a
>  frameline for the 90. >>
>
> To me, .58 sounds adequate to accommodate a 24 frameline visible to many or
> most eyeglass wearers.  However, I find the 90 line in the .72 finder in the
> M4P or M6 too small and interrupted to be optimal.  With 90's I try to use an
> M3, wherever possible.
>
> Joe

Dante Stella
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante