Subject: [Leica] Re: oh, Canada! OR a real 'real world' lens test
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 13:07:45 -0700 (PDT)

"Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net> wrote:

> Something you can do to improve your speed and reaction time is 'dry
> shooting'. You have, I am sure, seen those cop movies where the hero
> is at the FBI academy and have to run a course where terrorist
dummies
> pop up and the hero has to gun them down with his machine gun. Try
> walking around your house or neighborhood with no film in the camera
> pretending you are a FBI agent and imagine scenes poping into view
> then, quick focus and shoot.  I have done this for many hours and
> still occasionally do it

Except the FBI academy uses computers and lasers to figure out what
was actually shot.  If you don't use film, all your exposures and
focusing will be perfect.  :)  Film is cheap.  Burn through it.
There's really no other good way to learn.  Better to be learning on
something that isn't important to you than to be fumbling and learning
when you can't repeat the situation.  I've taken countless rolls of my
family in mundane situations, just so I can practice focusing and
composing.  And when I get the film developed, I can score myself and
see my improvement.  Besides, I've come away with some fantastic
expressions that I wouldn't have if I hadn't been "wasting" all that
film.  :)