Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and White film and developer combo
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:18:08 EDT

In a message dated 09/04/2000 7:08:27 PM, mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:

>I tell all lovers of Rodinal to give Xtol a shot (and at 1:3) because we
>have to
>realize if the grain is something we really do love or have just learned
>to live
>with.  But Rodinal gives a Look that is more than just a grain effect.
>And at
>1:100 there is a glow in the highlights which can really work for a lot
>of
>subject matter. Grain magically seems to line it self up to resolve an
>image
>finer than itself.
>Me I'm taking a vacation for grain for a year or so with Xtol. Especially
>with
>Delta 100 film.

Hi Mark,

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I really like Rodinal for its acutance
and edge effects, plus it looks very different from other film/developer
combos.  I've tried Xtol with many films, and the one I use it with is Delta
100.  With other films I prefer developers that have more of an edge, or bite
to them, Xtol is too smooth for my taste.  I've never been bothered by grain
as long as it's not mushy.  At the moment I use 4 films for 35mm in 4
different developers.  Tri-x in D-76, Delta 100 in Xtol, APX 400 in Rodinal,
and Ilford PanF in PMK, it all depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm
shooting, they are all very different.  I hope to bring a decent sized stack
of prints to Boston-I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Regards,
Richard W