Subject: [Leica] New Canon Optical Element Design
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:32:35 -0500

Canon has posted to their web site a description of a new kind (new
to interchangeable lens camera use, anyway) of optical element, which
they call a "multi-layer diffractive optical element." They say it
offers superior correction of chromatic aberrations and allows them
to design telephoto lenses substantially smaller and lighter. They
describe a 400 mm lens they will show at Photokina incorporating the
element.

The full description is at http://www.canon.com/do-info/index.html

I know nothing more than what is on that web page, but to someone who
knows little about optical desing (like me!) it looks impressive.
Does anyone better versed in optical design (Erwin?) see a downside
to incorporating such an element in a lens design?

Larry

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] Voigtlander 12/5.6 Update)
Reply from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> ([Leica] Voigtlander 12/5.6 Update)
Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] New Canon Optical Element Design)