Subject: [Leica] Valoy vs. Focomat
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 19:16:15 -0700

Hello Bill,
I read you prefer an old Leitz valoy on a focomat. It sounds a little
surprising to me since the focomat has the handy autofocus and the valoy
does not. I am curious to know what makes you use the valoy if you also
have a focomat.
Greetings,
Frederik

Frederik, that is a good question. My Focomat is also a 1937 model. It works
fine in autofocus mode up to about 11X14 but I like to print 16X20. I have
to manual focus it at that size, and, often at smaller sizes because it
often does not seem exactly sharp. Because I usually manual focus anyway, I
choose the Valoy which has a superior fine focus helical adjustment. The
manual focus on my Focomat is much more coarse and difficult to adjust with
precision. I usually print the full frame of the negative. I don't change
the magnification often, so the simple Valoy works well. Both eblargers have
the excellent fixed alignment design that just stays perfect(since 1937 at
least). Condenser illumination is less popular that in the past, but, I
learned how to get clean, unspotted negatives, and flawless prints.

REgards, Bill