Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Battery adapter wanted (became a long story)
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 09:34:37 -0700

The stuff rots your brain, especially kids' brains---take a look at the
back-of-the-book photos in Minimata for examples. If mercury is still being
used in flourescent lights, it's probably due to a lack of alternative
materials at the moment (or the political clout of the flourescent light
manufacturers). There are alternatives to its use in batts, however, which
is why it can and should be banned in them. In all of the contaminated
landfill cases I've been involved in the past 10 years, mercury is one the
most common (and persistent) contaminant in most of them, and it's generally
put down to discarded batts in household waste.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.