Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 04:24:33 +1200

Erwin wrote:
>Marshall Mc Luhan was right about it: the medium is the message.

Wow, i'm catching up on 3 days of Leica posts and find mention of two
of my favourite critics!

Sontag isn't going to change the way you make images, but she will
allow you to rethink how they can be interpreted, in the same way
that Roland Barthes' 'Image, Music, Text' will (Sontag owes him
big-time for this work). I'm currently working with both McLuhan and
Sontag for my thesis, and after that i'll be writing a lot about
McLuhan for publication (hopefully). McLuhan has some great things to
say about photography, especially the use of images and politics and
what they're capable of meaning over the years. One of his best
observations about photographs in 'Understanding Media' is in the
context of the cold war. Having the image of being the first to the
moon is a far greater political tool than necessarily having done it.

This context in recent news. Late 60's (?) images of Russian ICBM's
being paraded in Red Square which then gets televised
internationally. The fact is that USSR technology at the time wasn't
quite up to speed and the missiles were fabrications to make the
international media/politicians etc. believe the USSR was capable of
nuclear strike. Not only this, but instead of making governments look
after social services etc. it helped create an arms race whereby
governments increased military funding, and increased social
discontent. Needless to say, not only did the images work, but they
kept the effectiveness of them quiet until earlier this year. I think
that's quite cool.

Ahhh, history, my wanton mistress.... :-)

Take care,
Gary

- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University