Subject: Re: [Leica] It's all about M's
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:56:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Dances_with Leicas wrote:
> >From: Afterswift@aol.com
> >Here's my list of reasons why take the Hexar RF over the Leica M.
> >
> >  1. better meter
>
>     Better how?

Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.  The mechanical shutter and M6TTL meter does
not deliver the same 1/10 stop accuracy.

> >  2. automatic mode
>
>     Handy, but not necessary.

Bullpuckey.  Wrong exposure will seriously screw up the effective
resolution of the lens.  The K1000-style match-diode metering in the M
takes your eyes out of the frame field.  Having AE capability removes that
problem.

> >  3. motordrive that works
>
>     And is very loud compared to a M.

Nobody has ever heard mine.

> >  4. 1/125 flash sync
>
>      Still not really fast enough for sunlight fill.

Yes, but it works with 100 speed film better.

> >  5. rangefinder than never flares out
>
>      This mystical flare thing again... all 'yall crazy.

Seen it on my M6.

> >  6. easier loading
>
>      But nowhere nearly as charming.

What about tradition and bottom loading?

"Rum, sodomy and the lash," said Sir Winston.

> >  7. DX coding
>
>      Totally useless.

No - forgetting to set your camera for the right EI with slide film is
disastrous.  Of course you really need only DX *or* a clear window - but
not both.

> >  That's reason enough for me.
>
>      Obviously.
>
> >My m4-p pines away at home. Sold my M-6.
>
>     A shame.
>
> The Hexar is a nice camera. However, where I shop in Denver, every time
> someone has come in and looked at a Hexar, they have bought an M. The three
> kit that they got at it's introduction are still there, collecting dust.
> That speaks volumes about it, no?

There's a sucker born every minute.  I'll bet that better than 50% of all
M6s that do leave stores get very gentle (i.e. no) use.  Which would
explain the glut of "near-mint" M6s.

> just my very opinionated $.02

I guess that's what you get for two cents : )

Dante