Subject: [Leica] Hair Splitting trivia
From: Bryant <tbryant@wizard.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:51:12 +0000 ()

Hi Luggers!

    All this discussion about how to carry one's M.  For instance:

> Anyone who can carry a Leica M (with attached lens) in a pocket has my
> admiration. When I try to do that I usually walk with such a list that little
> old ladies offer to help me cross the street.

    There are almost as many ways of doing this as there are Luggers, so I
can't resist throwing in my 2 cents.

    The above *can* be done, even in shorts and a T shirt, but it takes 4
pockets.  In a front pocket goes my M3, with a body cap.  In the opposite goes
the Summilux 50 and both it's caps,

   (I know, the 'cron is smaller and sharper, but I'm from the the-faster-
the-speed-the-sharper-the-picture school of hand held photography.  There are
limits, however.  There's no way a Noctilux fits in your pants pocket without
looking like you're packing a hand grenade.)

   In a back pocket is my incident meter, and finally a spare roll of film and
the shade for the Slux in the last pocket.  It's reasonably comfortable, and
I can be assembled and ready for action in about 30 seconds.  The camera
rests in the crook of my arm, I haven't had much luck with straps for it,
although I do sling the meter around my neck when I'm shooting.  That way I
only worry about not dropping the Leica.

   I've tried never-ready cases, backpacks, fanny packs, attache cases and
found them cumbersome.  I've found the above pocket distribution trick to be
the most convenient for most purposes.  When I want to take my whole kit, I
use a photographer's vest, although it makes me stick out like a tourista.

   Another comment, on shutter accuracy.

> Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy.  The mechanical shutter and M6TTL meter does
> not deliver the same 1/10 stop accuracy.

   Ya know, Dante's right.  Most mechanical shutters are lucky to be within
1/3 stop at their highest speed.  The Leicas are a bit better, but I'd like to
submit that this is hair splitting.  Is your film +/- 1/10 stop?  Some runs of
the same emulsion are a bit "hotter" than others.  Is you development
technique similarly accurate?

   That said, splittin them hairs down to their molecular polymers can be be
fun.  Been there, done that.

   Cheers,

   Tom