Subject: [Leica] Yet more Leica opinions
From: Bryant <tbryant@wizard.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:04:55 +0000 ()

Hi Luggers!

    More Leica comments, and one that's not:

> It is my humble opinion, as well as decades of manual cameras and
> experience, that the Hexar's AE ability contributed little, perhaps
> nothing, to the picture taking experience and whether the exposures were
> good or not. As a matter of fact, AE in a restaurant can give you a worse
> "hit" rate than no AE...

    I'd like to, for once, simply agree with Jim and others who have chimed in
on this one.  I have 2 AE cameras.  They gather dust.  They rob me of control
at the critical moments.  Yes, I still really blow exposure, but then It's
*MY* fault not the camera's.  Another straw in the anti-AE poll.

    On left-eyed, right eyed M use:

    Until recently, I did all my shooting right eyed, as per the Leica manual.
I recently changed, and now do my vertical shots with the left eye, with the
camera firmly pressed to my forehead.  It seems to give significantly better
steadiness, so all important in a hand held shot.

    On the Hexar:

    My prime camera is an M3, I occasionally use an M4.  The thing I dislike
most about the M4 is it's 0.72x viewfinder.  I can't use it with both eyes
open.  Focusing isn't as accurate. That the Hexar is 0.6x makes it a non
consideration for me.  Just my 2 cents, paying for hairs split to the polymer
chain level.

    On Single Malts and off topic issues:

    Have you single malt fans tried Strathisla 12 year old?  I dunno what the
connection is between Leicas and single malts, but it's obviously there... I'm
surprised I don't hear more about Beethoven symphonies or manual shift cars
with tight suspensions, I suppose it's because they're *way* off topic!

    On opinions in general:

    Fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
    but wiser people so full of doubts.

                -- Bertrand Russell

    Vidi luminum!

    Tom