Subject: RE: [Leica] quiet cameras in cathedrals?
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:38:12 -0400

That's funny; during my visit to Vienna, one had to be very careful with
image recording gear of *any* kind in the religious structures.

All of the churches and cathedrals I visited would not allow image taking
during services [photos, video, etc.], and had bouncers to make sure you got
the point.  Others would not allow image recording at *any* time, and still
others would not allow tripods, spots, or flash usage at all.  The common
reason I heard was that they did not want professionals to profit from
imaging the premises.  In most spaces [except for Stephansdom and a couple
other places], the photographers I observed had to be rather furtive to take
a picture.  Even then, they were frequently escorted out of the building.

For me, not looking like a photographer helped [no vest, no bag; all gear in
closed pockets and camera stowed in jacket], as did a micro tabletop tripod
[mine has a tiny Leica ball head and stands less than 4 inches tall; looks
like a toy really].  In some places, a Noct was the only tool for the job.

/Mitch Zeissler