Subject: RE: [Leica] Shooting in Europe
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:51:27 -0400

I would echo Kurt's experiences.

In Vienna, Austria, we had no problems with pickpockets, though we were told
they were on the lookout for tourists.  However, we did take precautions,
which included the following:

- - Try to fit in with the local dress code.  Prior to our travel date, we
picked up magazines and books with photos to help us pick our wardrobe
selection for the trip, so we could blend in as much as possible.  We also
brought along large *long* jackets that covered us to mid thigh level,
making it difficult for a thief to get to our pockets without being somewhat
more obvious.

- - Take a nondescript packable cloth bag for purchases.  If you pick up
something at a store, put it in the cloth bag to keep from advertising where
you have been.

- - Keep only the cash you need for the day with you, and leave the rest in a
safe place where you are staying.

- - Try not to be flashy with your cameras or associated gear.  Photographers
vests can draw unwanted attention, as can gear bags and tripods.  When I
initially started exploring Vienna, I took my entire kit with me.  I
discovered in the process that the sidewalks were far too narrow for me
navigate without having oncoming pedestrians run into the tripod attached to
my lumbar pack, earning me all sorts of glares when they rubbed their arms
afterwards.  By the end of the second day, I had trimmed down my kit to just
the M3, the 25mm Skopar and Noctilux, a very small tabletop tripod, a map,
and a small notepad; all of which would fit out of sight in pockets when not
in use.  The smaller kit actually helped me get shots that I wouldn't have
gotten otherwise.

I will say the Europeans did have a lot more interest in Leica cameras than
any place I've shot here in the States.  I had a surprising number of
strangers approach and strike up a conversation with me because of the M3 I
was using.

/Mitch Zeissler