Subject: FW: [Leica]More Sontag et al
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:53:13 -0700

firehose.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Paul Chefurka
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 10:51 AM
To: 'leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us'
Subject: RE: [Leica]More Sontag et al

I've always been fascinated by the effects of the dissemination of ever
larger amounts of information, ever faster, to an ever-widening audience.
Books, then newspapers, then radio, wirephotos, television, and now the net.
I'd have to say that overall the effect is much more positive than negative.

So I feel numbed by the constant flood of misery pics - but what would I
feel if I'd never seen those pics?  I'd feel precisely nothing, because I'd
know precisely nothing.  At least now I do know what sorts of things go on
in this world.  And while I may feel a bit numb toward those towering,
far-off tragedies, knowing that they do occur and how they come about may
make me a bit better citizen of my own little corner of the globe.  I become
more watchful, more concerned about intolerance, more ready to help (if not
those far away, then those in trouble closer to home).

So while Sontag may be right that the sword of photography has two edges -
arousing conscience and deadening it at the same time - it's a lot better
than trying to fight the battles of civilization completely unarmed.  So
let's all keep drinking from that

Paul