Subject: RE: [Leica] New Pentax-L 43mm F1.9 for Leica
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:02:44 +0100

Mikiro,
One of the interesting aspects of this lens is that it does not seem
anywhere near as compact as a 40-45mm lens could be for a rangefinder
camera. Recall the 40/2 Summicron-C? This is the legacy of using a lens
specifically designed for an SLR, the first time this has been done I'd
have thought? Other recent Japanese companies efforts have usually taken
wide angle lenses from 'compact' cameras (Hexar, Ricoh, Minolta) or
designed lenses from scratch.
I'd guess a fair proportion of the viewfinder might be obscured and so then
you may well want an accesory viewfinder, but it hardly makes for a user's
lens, I suspect that 2000 pieces will be as many as the collector's market
may stand.
Here in the UK the Ricoh lens is still available, suggesting either they
decided not to limit production, or the market is saturated.

Jem