Subject: Re: [Leica] Yet more Leica opinions
From: Kevin H <kevin@2image.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:48:26 -0400

Bryant wrote:

>     I'd like to, for once, simply agree with Jim and others who have chimed in
> on this one.  I have 2 AE cameras.  They gather dust.  They rob me of control
> at the critical moments.  Yes, I still really blow exposure, but then It's
> *MY* fault not the camera's.  Another straw in the anti-AE poll.

This one I don't understand.  What's the difference between manually moving the
shutter speed until the
'needle (diode) matches, or letting the camera set it?  Unless the camera is a
poor design, the AE should become rather
intuitive.  You should be able to meter and lock the exposure

I shoot AE all the time (until my recent M6 purchase) -- and find that there is a
learning curve for both methods.  If you are 'blowing exposure' in AE mode, it's
still your fault, unless the camera is of poor design and has no AE lock. Perhaps
my Contax SLR is better than most designs -- a flick of the finger sets  the AE
exposure  lock until it is switched off, regardless of how many frames are fired.
It also allows compensation on a locked setting.

As for the M6 -- This is really a new challenge (I've only had it for a week).
And I wouldn't change a thing on it! -- Except possibly an AE setting  . . . I've
been practicing camera handling with my dog (actually, the dog is the subject) and
it is challenging to focus/adjust exposure and compose on a fast moving object.

I just received my  90mm Elmarit - M today . . . I figure if I can't create art
with this . . .at the least I'm holding it!
Kevin
(For the record, I never really try to 'create' art, nor invent history . . . )