Subject: Re: [Leica] Forbes article on mechanical wristwatches
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:14:49 -0400

Matt Morgan jotted down the following:

> I've had my Rolex Submariner for a dozen years now, and I absolutely love
> it. However, although its long overdue a service, it's hardly ever accurate.
> I forget the exact measurement, but it always gains time. But I don't mind,
> taking it off and winding it is part of the tactile relationship I like with
> many of my mechanical possessions.

I'm with Matt on this: I have a Swatch mechanical automatic watch, one of
the metal ones.  (Yeah, go ahead watch snobs, poo poo it all you like.)  It
gains about five minutes every month and perhaps once every six weeks I
reset it to something more in line with the rest of the planet.  But my
philosophy is that if you need timekeeping that is accurate to two seconds
every month in your everyday life, you're better off getting major surgury
to remove your head from your ass before spending the money on another
watch...

Time be time, mon.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Jonesboro, AR; Denver, CO;
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | Washington, DC; Mount Morris, MI.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | Bear arms, or bears harm?

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Forbes article on mechanical wristwatches)