Subject: Re: [Leica] Interest in Leica 0
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:07:16 +0100

Martin Howard wrote:

> Simon Lamb jotted down the following:
>
> > I haven't seen too much discussion on the Leica 0 that is due to be in
Leica
> > dealers at the end of October.
>
> Eh, what's a Leica 0??
>
> M.

Martin (and Steve Beyer who asked the same question) here is the answer:

Leica is to make a small number of the so-called Nullserie, the precursor of
the Leica I.  It was first produced in 1923 and 1924.  The specs are:

35mm finder camera with non-interchangeable lens
24x36mm format
Newton finder
Aluminium casing, coated with artificial leather, and an interior of
deep-drawn brass
Horizontal-plane, mechanically controlled rubber cloth focal-plane shutter,
non-overlapping when shutter is wound (lens cap on!)
Exposure times of B, 1/20s, 1/50s, 1/100s, 1/200s, 1/500s
Frame counter automatically counts from 0-40 (manual reset to 0 when new
roll inserted)
Leitz Anastigmat 50mm f/3.5 4 element 3 component multi-coated lens
Continuous aperture setting with values of 3.5 / 4.5 / 6.3 / 9 / 12
Focussing range infinity to 1m
Leather lens cap permanently attached to body with a cord
Film loaded by removable base (takes 35mm cartridge)
1/4" tripod thread
H x L x D = 65mm x 133mm x 39mm (with lens collapsed)
Weighs 470g
Comes with (n)ever-ready case of brown cowhide leather with a carrying
strap.
Topplate and baseplate black lacquered.

Sounds great.  Shutter speed selected by a dial on the top where you specify
the size of the gap between the curtains.  2mm=1/500s and 50mm=1/20s

There it is, and I bet it look great.

Simon

Replies: Reply from lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] Interest in Leica 0)