Subject: [Leica] Re: [Leica, OT] Wristwatches
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:11:37 +0200

A mechanical watch is less rugged than todays quartz wachtes in the
first place. In the early days of quartz wristwatches in the 1970s this
was a different story of course.

Battery dependency is relative. In real live, a mechanical watch needs
CLA more often and at far greater cost than a quartz watch needs a new
battery which totday is 3 to 10 years. Leather straps and O-rings making
them watertight need to be replaced more often than the battery.

I however like the idea of watches working without battery. I own a ISCO
chronograph with a battery that will last +20years. I own a Junghans
Mega Solar which is radio controlled and solar powered. For curiosity,
the manuals recommend CLA after 10 years!

Coming back to photography, my Sekonic Studio Deluxe II is solar
powered, too.

Hans-Peter