Subject: Re: [Leica] Color to B&W in Photoshop (OT)
From: MTomalty@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:36:34 EDT

As Greg mentioned using the desaturate command does a pretty decent
job and gives you the added bonus of adding a little tone after your done.

Another route,that I've been playing around with lately is Channel Mixer.

Go to IMAGE ->ADJUST ->CHANNEL MIXER (I believe it's the 10th
command down)
Once the channel mixer dialogue box comes up click on MONOCHROME.
This converts the image to B/W and by playing with the 3 sliders
you can get a pretty good simulation of the effects that occur with
using color filter on B/W film.
For example ,if you have an image with with blue sky leaving the Red
Channel at say,75% ,Green at 20%,andBlue at 5% you get the deep
black skies that result from using a Red filter on the lens when
shooting B/W film.

Also,for more extensive Color->Black and White conversions there is a
Photoshop plug-in that apparently does a much better job than PShop.
I believe the program allows the user to input specific BW film types
and then converts the colors in a similar fashion to how that film
actually interprets a scene.

Mark Tomalty