Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical watches
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:31:24 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/00 8:19:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mano@proxyma.net
writes:

<< When I bought my Tudor Submariner the dealer showed me an old Rolex
information sheet
 which explained one should store a mechanical watch flat with face up to
gain time,
 sideways with crown down to loose a little time, crown up to loose more time.
 Apparently gravity affects accuracy.  >>

Indirectly, it can.  To understand how, visualize a watch movement, with the
balance wheel plano-parallel to the plates which serve as the chassis.  The
balance is like a bicycle wheel, in that it is mounted on an "axle" known as
the "staff", suspended between two carefully lubricated jewelled bearings or
mountings, on points called "pivots".  When the watch is on its back, the
balance rests on the lower jewel.  When it is stood on edge, it is suspended
like a bicycle wheel during forward motion.
As mentioned by another LUG'er, watches are factory "adjusted" so as to run
at set rates in as many as 6 positions, although more are used, but very
infrequently.  The ultimate goal is to have the watch run as accurately as
possible in actual use.  Extreme precision is required, compared to, say, a
mantel clock, which needs to run in only one position.  An ideally adjusted
watch will not show measurable differences in running rates in different
positions.  A well adjusted watch with little wear may not either, on a daily
basis.  But most watches are not operating optimally, let alone ideally.
It is not gravity which alone changes the rate at which a watch runs, but a
combination of physical forces which, among others, includes friction.
Physicists or watchmakers receiving this post are welcome to correct my
simplistic and probably inaccurate account!

Joe Sobel