Subject: Re: Why are LTM versions so expensive [Leica] New SMC Pentax-L 43mm F1.9 Spe...
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:11:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/00 12:11:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
walt@jove.acs.unt.edu writes:

<< There will always be a place for the Leica....and the Rolex....
 what I'm talking about is the extreme need for a "SWATCH" RF so that
 the real "shooter" can have 90% of the advantages of the Leica
 RF without the ridiculous expense.....

Looks as if the Cosina (Voigtlaender RF) is about as close as we will get to
a current production "Volksleica", if you don't mind LTM.  Also, there are
still plenty of under-appreciated, underpriced and truly excellent Canon LTM
bodies waiting for good homes.  Canon lenses are pretty good, too, at much
lower prices than comparable Leitz models.  Leitz did try the approach of
introducing a "second" line, the CL, with mixed success.  It would probably
take a lot of persuasion before they would try again.

Joe Sobel