Subject: [Leica] Bessas and Hexars and M's, Oh My!
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 15:14:52 -0700

With all the "hot talk" about the non-Leica alternative cameras and lenses
lately, I thought I'd chime in with my own recent decision-making process.

I've always preferred rangefinder focusing.  As some of you may remember, I
had an M2 back in the 70s. I sold it after college and have always
regretted doing so.  Since the early 80s, I've used a IIIf with a (shudder)
Imarect finder and 35/3.5 Summaron, 90/4 Elmar, and 50/1.4 Nikkor lenses.
But I was getting tired of this outfit's inconveniences.  So I asked for
advice on this list.  Many people responded--and thanks *very* much to all
of you.

I very seriously considered the Bessa R.  Frankly, the Bessa has the nicest
RF viewfinder I've ever seen, bar none.  I wear glasses, and I could see
the entire 35mm frame easily.  It was LTM, so I could use my existing LTM
lenses on it.  The price, while too high for a converted OM-2000 (etc.),
was still quite attractive compared to an M.  The built-in meter was nice
and easy to use. And the Bessa lenses were getting very nice optical
reviews, if mixed mechanical reviews.

Why did I decide against the Bessa?

- - It's too new for us to know its reliability and ease of repair.  This is
somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's a modified common consumer-level
SLR, so parts ought to be available for a while.

- - It would limit me to LTM lenses.  This meant that if I wanted to use a
Leica lens newer than the 1950s, I'd have to buy the brand new LTM lenses
that are being sold at a premium.  I wouldn't be able to take advantage of
the recent M lenses sold by those who must always have the Latest and
Greatest at a couple of kilobucks a pop.

- - Shutter noise and vibration.  Compare the M's shutter sound, "ktik,"
against the Bessa's "Kdik-gethwap."  The Bessa sounds more like a quiet SLR
(such as my "other camera," an Olympus OM-2).  The light Bessa body doesn't
damp the shutter vibrations as well as an M.  I felt there was a good
chance I'd lose part of the rangefinder camera's advantage--less shake than
an SLR at handheld slow shutter speeds.

- - I like available light.  The Bessa's RF base is fine for a 50/1.4, but
not for a 90/2.0, which I want eventually.

So that left the Hexar and a used M.  The Hexar was intriguing.  But it was
only sold as a kit for $~1500, with a 50mm f/2 Hexanon, which meant I'd
have to sell the lens at a loss if I wanted a 50 "cron."  The price of a
new Hexar was just too close to a used Leica.  You have no choice but to
use motor drive.  The finder image is a little smaller and dimmer than a
.72 "M," and I found the blinking shutter speeds in the finder annoying.
The shutter vibrations felt well damped compared to a Bessa, but the noise
lasted longer because of the motor drive--"Kdikzzzzzzt."  And there was the
long-term reliability/ repairability question.

On the plus side, it had a meter, AE if I wanted it, and speeds up to 1/4000.

A new M6 was too expensive for me.  I wear glasses, so an M3 was not an
option--I can't see the entire 50mm frame.  What it boiled down to was that
if I wanted to use M lenses, I'd have to spend about a a little under a
grand to get a camera body, unless I wanted a really beat-up M2.  Did I
want a used, real Leica without a meter, or did I want a camera with a
meter?  I opted for a real Leica.  I've been scouting Ebay and Photo.Net
ads, and ended up with a decent user M4-P, a nearly new 50 Summicron
(penultimate version with focus tab) and a 35 pre-asph Summicron with a
user barrel and perfect-glass.

All this said, I don't think either the Bessa or the Hexar are bad cameras.
In fact, if the Bessa cost less and had an M mount instead of a screw
mount, I would have been very tempted.  And the Hexar would be a great
camera for those that need motor drive and AE.

But we don't know how long or how far the so-called Rangefinder Rennaisance
will go.  Is it really going to catch on among a critical mass of amateurs?
 Who knows.  We're lucky that it has caught on among more than the initial
market of Japanese collectors for whom it was first intended.  But
regardless of what happens, we do know that Leicas will remain repairable
for a long time.  So, if I must have one "M" camera, let it be a genuine
Leica.

- --- Peter