Subject: [Leica] My new M3
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:33:11 -0400

[An apostate comes back?!]

Ok, my plane out of LaGuardia was put off two hours and I made the
mistake of returning uptown from West Village and buying a pretty clean
M3.  Not the kind of investment that you'd get soaked on (and since
there is a liberal return and M3s are pretty price-stable (and this one
relatively cheap), what the hell?).  Some questions for M3 users:

(1) What is the story with the RF brightness?  I didn't see any fog or
separation on mine and compared it to about ten M2s.  Nothing really
notable in differences, but even compared to a Hexar RF, well... let's
just say that the 0.91 finder on the M3 seems to be more than overcome
by its old-school brightness.  Short of replacing the entire RF
mechanism (which defeats the purpose of the M3), is this a question of
changing beamsplitters?  Like I said, it looked like every other M I saw
from that era, so I can't imagine that there is anything about this one.

(2) Is there any way to permanently disable the 50mm frame?  It really
doesn't do much (since it subtends all of the finder), and rounded
courners are not pretty.  Is there a way to mask the outside of the
illuninator window (are you listening, Dr. Blacktape???).

(3) Are some M3s quieter than others?  This one is a SS PV (927xxx) and
it is far more quiet than any M I have encountered.  Does it have
anything to do with the shutter brake someone was talking about earlier?

(4) What was the trick for allowing the RF to work at 0,7m?

Well, it will be an interesting experience.  The M3 is a much different
beast from the M6 (and sufficiently different from the Hexar RF), and
over the next couple of weeks it will be interesting to see how much
more difficult it is to use the M3-type loading and rewind.  I am most
interested in finding out whether or not the finder really improves the
long/fast lens experience, especially as against a Canon 7, which has a
0.85x magnification and a lot clearer finder.  I hope it does - it's a
nice camera.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Dante Stella
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante

Replies: Reply from rnkramer@mindspring.com (Re: [Leica] My new M3)