Subject: Re: [Leica] My new M3
From: rnkramer@mindspring.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 08:35:13 -0400

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Dante A Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

> (1) What is the story with the RF brightness?  I didn't see any fog or
> separation on mine and compared it to about ten M2s.  Nothing really
> notable in differences, but even compared to a Hexar RF, well... let's
> just say that the 0.91 finder on the M3 seems to be more than overcome
> by its old-school brightness

Maybe your VF isn't as clear as most, but every "old school" M I have tried
is brighter and has better contrast then the current M6.  A clear M3 finder
is probably no better than a clear M2/4/5, but the high mag. makes focusing
wide open easier.  There is no supply of parts for the RF assembly, so it
will be difficult to replace components of the assembly.  Maybe your finder
just needs a good cleaning.  I would send it to Sherry or DAG.

> (3) Are some M3s quieter than others?

Some say the DS M3s are quieter.  I have a DS, and it is very quiet, but I
haven't compared it to a SS.

> (4) What was the trick for allowing the RF to work at 0,7m?

There is no trick.  You can't do it.  I use my M4 for the "macro" work. :-)

> Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Not really any tips or tricks any different than using the other M series
cameras.  If it were me, I would leave the 50mm framelines alone.  You'll
get used to them, and there is enough area outside the lines to make
reasonably accurate composition a problem if these lines weren't there.

Bob Kramer