Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens haze-35mm Summicron
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:03:05 -0400

Vick,

I had a 1st version chrome Summicron that had a haze on the front surface of
the rear group and some fungus  on the front element.  I took it apart and
cleaned the haze using straight up methanol (mehtyl hyrate in hardware
store) and hydorgen peroxide (drug store) for the fungus.

Taking a lens apart yourself is acutally quite easy.  Without previous
experience,  I have cleaned my 35 Summincron, a 35 Elmar, a 50 Summar, a 50
Elmar, and a 90 SM.

A lens screws together quite simply.  You need three tools: an adjustable
lens spanner ($35 at mciro-tools.com), a good jewlers screwdriver, and one
of those rubber furntiure leg (Home Despot) things that will fit inside the
filter ring but not touch the glass.

First us the rubber thing to unscrew the engraved ring on the lens front.
It just unscrews (counter clockwise) through the filter ring after you press
in it.  This exposes the front elements which can be unscrewed using the
lens spanner fitted into those two slots that should be clearly visible.
There may or may not be the visible screws (I forgot). If they are there
unscrew them. The rear elements unscrew also using the spanner slots that
you can see through the lens mounts.  There may or may not be retaining
screws.  If you are feeling ambitous you can clean the crud and old grease
from the focus ring using mineral spirits and relube them with a lithium
grease.

Clean away!  Even if you don't have visible haze, a good methanol cleaning
does wonders for the clarity of a vintage lens.

Just remember work on a clean, clear surface and keep the distractions to a
minimum so you don't loose anything.

Jonathan Lee