Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica M6 should I buy?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:48:30 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/00 12:20:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:

<< As far as flare goes I'm a nonbeliever.
 Some day I'll have an older M for comparison against my M6's and I'll know
what
 you and C.D. And others are talking about but its' hard getting exciting
about
 something i just don't notice that much.
 I shot a couple of rolls today into the sun and out and all over the place.

Use of the word "flare" to describe the phenomenon can be somewhat
misleading.  The problem can be a real one, under certain circumstances.  I
find it analogous in a way to the "blackout" that occurs in the split image
or microprism "focusing aid" segments in the centers of SLR screens when the
eye is a little off center, with use of slower lenses.  Under lower lighting
conditions, with the pupil of the eye off center, light entering the M6 or
later M4P finder from certain, usually oblique, angles, causes the focusing
area to brighten, not black out, obliterating the secondary image.  Moving
the camera body slightly, to center the pupil, generally improves or corrects
the situation.  I have also noticed disappearance of one or more of the lines
in the bright frame during such episodes.  Use of the word "flare" does help
to differentiate this "whiteout" from SLR blackout, but there is not a
literal flare of the kind seen through SLR finders in bright lighting, contre
jour.

Joe Sobel