Subject: [Leica] Converting to grayscale
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:59:01 -0500

The problem for me is that I go back and forth between printing color CD
contact sheets/covers and a few B&W prints for reproduction off of color
files...  I'm using a Epson 750.... the results of B&W prints using color
inks in RGB are far better than ones using black ink in grayscale.

I tried the desaturate mode on a couple of images before going to grayscale
and then back to RGB...  I still have to adjust curves to get the tones
where I want them...  I'm not sure it's any better and it adds an additional
step to go through...

But that doesn't mean it isn't a viable way of doing it..

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://duane_birkey.tripod.com

Guy wrote:

Actually I have found that I get bet better tonality if I first do
image>adjust>desaturate in rgb mode before going to grayscale. Straight
to grayscale hammers the channel balance so you are probably getting
strange results if you are going back to rgb. For the Epson 1160 with
quad inks I find that it is a much easier workflow to just stay in
grayscale. What you see is truly what you get. The results are amazing.
And the files are 1/3 the size.