Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica collector's or user's camera
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:50:43 -0400

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> [snip]
> >An old McIntosh amp will cost you just about as much as a Leica 0.
>
> How about brand new tube amps?  A company called Audionote sells a tube amp
> that puts out about 7 watts/channel for $90,000.  Heck, you can't get "real
> high-end" speaker cables for the price of a Leica 0.  And people think our
> hobby is expensive????
>
> Paul

The Audio Note amplifier noted, called the Ongaku, at 28 wpc., not 7 wpc., consists of parts that are mostly handmade by three technicians in Audio Note's factory in Japan. Twenty eight pounds of silver wire extruded through diamond dies. Hand wound silver wired transformers and silver foil capacitors. I believe each one takes about six months to build. Many people who have heard it say it is the best amplifier in the world.

On the other hand, my UK manufactured Audio Note amplifier cost me about the same as a new M6. Cheaper parts and labor obviously.

Robert Browne

Replies: Reply from khmiska <khmiska@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Leica collector's or user's camera)