Subject: RE: [Leica] Beginner B&W Question - Indoor Available Light
From: "Tom Finnegan" <tomf@piengr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:20:15 -0700

What I would suggest is going out and buying a couple rolls of each film oyu
are considering, say: Tri-x, HP5+, Delta 3200, Neopan 1600... Then over the
next month shoot them all and have the local pro lab develop and contact
print them. Look them over carefully and narrow your choices down to say two
films based on what look you like and the speed you need. Go out and by a
brick of each film, and over the following month shoot it all and work with
the lab a bit to try and optimize the development. By the time you have
finished shooting all that film you should have a pretty good idea of what
you like best, and you'll be all ready for the dark winter months ahead.

I just developed a roll of HP5+ (@1600) and a roll of Delta 3200 (@1600)
last night. Both rolls were developed together in Xtol 1:1 for 21 minutes.
At first glance at the breakfast table they both looked pretty good, and
fairly similiar. I shot mostly Delta 3200 last winter (October-April) here
in Seattle. I'm leaning toward HP5+ though this year.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle