Subject: [Leica] Re:Beginner-John Coan
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:00:17 -0700

John, I use the 35/50/90 combo you have. They are superb. The M6
meter will be a reliable guide to start. Eventually you will learn
when to deviate from it. Tri-X remains a popular classic film with
forgiving exposure latitude and beautiful gradation. It is ideal for
available light. TMX-100 is probably too slow for available light and
overkill unless you need great big enlargements. Also, it is a
tempermental film with exacting exposure requirements compared to
Tri-X.

If you are using a photofinisher Tri-X is a good bet. The c41 b&w
films can be handled by a knowledgable mini lab. Doing your own
darkroom work is the best if you can. Some cities have rental
darkrooms and classes at adult ed programs.

The digital option is worth considering, I hear.

Good luck, Bill Lawlor

Replies: Reply from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Re:Beginner-John Coan)