Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash photo primer?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:40:57 -0400

> I would like to learn about flash photography.  I have an M2 (with PC
> sockets) and an R7.  The R7 has TTL flash, but I don't have any dedicated
> flashes.
>
> So, I'd like to learn how to do flash as main light and fill light with a
> manual unit, without having to pull out a calculator and surveying equipment
> each time I wish to take a picture.  I'm positive that there must be tricks
> that you 'old guys' used to use before the advent of TTL matrix flash
> metering, which allowed you to get good pictures without constantly fiddling
> with the camera and/or flash.  Please share some of those tricks.
>
> M.

Martin,

I am no expert at flash photography, even though I do quite a bit of it. I
use a Metz 45CL-4 on a Nikon F3 or FM2n, when travelling light I will use a
Vivatar. The Metz has three modes, TTL, Automatic and Manual. I always use
Automatic which once the settings are made, f-stop, ISO, nothing else needs
to be done. I found out a long time ago that with the TTL setting the
recycle time is very, very slow. With the Automatic mode, recycle time is
very quick, so quick that I can fire three rolls of film with the F3 motor
drive on continous shoot. Also the recycle time is also dictated by the
f-stop so I shoot mostly at 5.6 and once in awhile a f 8. I have a 28mm wide
angle attachment for the Metz and Vivatar but have sometimes gotten away
with using a 24mm or even a 19mm lens. Both flashes use double AA batteries
(Metz, 6 and Vivatar 4) and Energizer brand batteries by far out perform
other brands. Personnaly I hate using flash but sometimes there is no choice
like tonight where I will be photographing a Film Festival Awards Banquet.
Lately when doing these kind of things I have started to use the Nikon
w/flash and Leicas without. And if you would like to see an example go to
http://www.icommag.com go to 'back issues' then 'august issue' scroll to
bottom of page and click on 'WIVF Gala' you will easily see the difference.

Steve
Annapolis