Subject: [Leica] Re: chromogenic films
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:59:06 +0200

Matt,

I too have used XP2 Super quite a bit. For a while I was infatuated with the
convenience of being able to just drop it off at any color lab. But when I
compared it to a conventional B&W film like Delta 400 (which a fair comparison,
same speed), I concluded that it was lacking something. Nowadays my main use for
this film is in the Leicaflex SL when my 11-year old son is using it, as it is
more forgiving than normal B&W. Incidentally, I develop it myself, using
Tetenal's C41 chemistry.

Nathan

"Barker, J. Madison" wrote:

> Nathan Wajsman wrote to John Coan, in part:
>
> "The "color B&W" stuff, i.e. Ilford XP2 Super or Kodak T400CN is convenient
> as you can have it developed anywhere but it is not true B&W."
>
> *******
>
> Like John, I used to develop and print my own Tri-X and Pan-X but can no
> longer find the time.  I'm not sure what makes "true B&W," but I use Ilford
> XP2 Super a lot, and love it.  Great contrast and fine grain.  The negs sure
> look B&W to me.  I think the lab uses Fuji/Konica chemicals and paper.  They
> print 3X5 on regular B&W paper and 4X6 and larger on color paper.  I
> actually prefer the color paper mostly; the images are somehow more
> striking.  I suppose it's mostly greater contrast.  I also like having negs
> and prints back in an hour.  I'd advise giving it a try, John; not much to
> lose.  OTOH, I've has very bad luck with the Kodak stuff (developed and
> printed by a lab using Kodak supplies).  More like "yellow&brown" than B&W.
>
> Matt Barker

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland