Subject: Re: [Leica] Meta Photokina
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:24:00 -0400

B. D. Colen jotted down the following:

> The stupidity Martin correctly points out is a prime example of a designer -
> be he or she an industrial or a graphic designer - controlling a creative
> process. Sure, the end result may look keen, but does it work optimally?

I would actually disagree.  A good designer has his/her target audience
foremost in mind, be they purchasers and users of a product, or viewers of
content.  My initial message was to point out the contradiction between
Guigiaro's rather inflated statement about design and his own shortcoming in
something so obviously flawed as the placement of the hotshoe on the F3 (the
project in which he was involved).  If experience wasn't enough, the final
proof of the failure of this 'feature' is the fact that Nikon later changed
it's placement on the F3P and on subsequent models.

In my opinion, if we had good designers controlling product development
processes more often, we'd have much better artifacts.  This is especially
true of software and computerized equipment.  Too often, people without any
understanding of, empathy with, or consideration for those who have to use
the products are in charge of the development process.  I hesitate to lump
all these people together under heading, but 'engineers' will suffice as an
arbitrary generalization for now.

Interestingly, there are as many misconceptions among the general public
about what a 'designer' is and how they work, as there are in the
(predominantly software) engineering community about what 'users' are and
how they work.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |