Subject: Re: [Leica] Meta Photokina
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:37:52 -0400

Joe Codispoti jotted down the following:

> The reason for the flash shoe on the rewind knob is that the F, F2 and F3
> have a removable prism. If the camera is to be used with a waist-level
> finder, the shoe seems to be placed in the most logically unobtrusive
> location. So it is not stupidity nor genius. It is a matter of necessity.
> I do however wonder about the "genius" of denigrating other's ideas and
> motives without considering all the facts.

Oh really?  Well, let's consider the facts.  Given two situations, which do
you think is going to occur an order of magnitude more often that the other:

  1)  Prism mounted on camera, held at eye-level, camera mounted flash.

  2)  Waist-level VF mounted on camera, hand-held, camera mounted
      flash.

Exactly.  If you're using a WL VF on an F3, chances are very, very high that
you've also got the thing mounted on a tripod, probably in a studio.  Then
you can use the PC-sync socket and an external flash meter.

I would like to see *real* data to support the placement of the flash mount
over the rewind lever on the F3.  I'll shut up if someone can show me that,
but until I see something other than someone's esoteric mindgames and
speculative 'what if' scenarios in support of why the mount should go over
the rewind lever, I'll continue to point it out as a bad design decision.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "I am Pentium of Borg.  Division is
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | futile.  You will be approximated."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |                            -- Unknown