Subject: [Leica] Smith-Corona Summicrons (was 35mm, 90mm, and now 50 mm?)
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:39:09 -0700

IMO a more appropriate analogy to photography than writing might be fine-art
printmaking.  The tools in that medium are of supreme importance, because
they directly impact the nature and quality of the finished art.
Printmakers spend a heck of a lot of time discussing papers, inks, paints,
the materials they use for plates, presses etc. etc.

Of course the quality of a printmaker's work is more dependent on the tools
than ours, but ours is way more tool-driven than a writer's.  A writer's
output is pure "crystallized thought" - a photograph is an actual objet
(sometimes even an objet d'art), in which the medium contributes to the
final statement as much as the photographer's message does.  A trivial
example of this is to compare the feeling of viewing black and white Leica
street photographs displayed as 8x10 fiber prints to large-format colour
landscape work displayed as 2x3 meter rear-projection transparencies.

While it may be true that the brand of camera may be less important than the
photographer's vision (the NikCanolta wars come to mind), some tool choices
(Minox, or 8x10 view?) will drastically affect the final output.  While we
may at times wax fetishistic in our thinking about camera equipment, there
is at the bottom a sound reason for it.

In short, I too think the camera/typewriter analogy is ill-considered.

Paul

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Smith-Corona Summicrons (was 35mm, 90mm, and now 50 mm?))