Subject: Re: [Leica] Suzy Q, again
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:46:11 EDT

In a message dated 9/26/00 4:59:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
john@pinkheadedbug.com writes:

<<
 But for others looking through the vf is a way of intensifying the seeing
 experience, or seeing things that one could not see in any other way. That's
 why people get mad at her, because she doesn't acknowledge there are
 alternative practices. For her photography is a reductive and isolationist
 activity. And we all know it doesn't have to be.>>

Depends whether one is looking through an RF finder or a pentaprism image
reflected off a mirror.  Or so I perceive it, rightly or wrongly.

 > "Needing to have reality confirmed and experienced enhanced by photographs
 > is an aesthetic consumerism to which everyone is now addicted
."
Maybe "photographs" needs to be updated to "videos".

 > Come on...This one is so obvious as to be a "Duh!" Why do  10s of millions
 > of tourists have their photo taken by 10s of millions of other tourists in
 > front of the Eiffel Tower and the Grand Canyon? To show that they were
 > there. Certainly their friends have seen - BETTER - photos of those places.
 > But the photo of Art and Alice in front of the tourist attraction allows
 > them to "consume" it and show it off.

 But not all photographs 'confirm' reality or 'enhance' experience. She is
 describing a very limited form of photography. It's like saying all bread is
 white bread, so stay off it.

 > Don't get me wrong - I don't agree with everything she writes, and think
 > some of it is downright horse shit. But I think that she is an extremely
 > bright, insightful intellectual prig who makes some brilliant observations
 > that she probably wouldn't have made were she a photographer

 Probably true. But she's a bit like a stopped clock which is right once
 every 24 hours.>>

 Actually twice a day, if you think about it.  Maybe you give her too much
credit.    The aphorism "Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut"
comes to mind, however.

Joe Sobel