Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses Old & New
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:36:39 -0400

Joe Sobel <Krechtz@aol.com> wrote:

>> For example none of the current 50mm Leica lenses deliver
>> the look of my c. 1950 f/3.5 Elmar. For B/W photography I
>> *love* this lens.
>
> Well, please don't leave us hanging! Can you verbalize what makes
> the lens that desirable and describe the nature of the image it
> produces?

Hmmm, didn't realize I was creating suspense. B. D.'s "Lyka" caricature has
some truth to it, and I imagine I could get a real good glow going if I
smeared vaseline all over the front element. ;-) But I'd hardly describe my
Elmar as "not quite sharp." For what I'm doing with it–6x9" prints from
handheld shots, mostly of abandoned buildings in various stages of
decay–it's plenty sharp. I use it almost exclusively in the early morning &
evening on sunny days. I like the sheen it gives to highlight areas and the
way its relatively low contrast renders shadow detail. I find the negatives
I create with it very easy to print (both traditionally and digitally).

- -Dave-