Subject: [Leica] 35mm f.2 Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH
From: Denice Martone <denice.martone@nyu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:05:52 -0400

   ......."We know more than we can use ... and we don't know nearly
enough."  Susan Sontag, from I Etcetera, 1979.

Hi all,  I'm new to the list. After following the thread on 35mm f.2
Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH and the final decision to
go Summicron, I confess seeing little difference between the two
images (yes, I'm an amateur.) I bought my first and only (ha ha my
dealer gloats) Leica M-6 TTL and 35mm f 1.4 Summilux ASPH simply
because I wanted as much available light as I could, not wanting to
go to flash when I could help it.  It suits me -- I'm not bothered by
it's bulk (pro photographers carry around much bigger equipment, I've
noticed) and of course I love the images, they are great (it's a
Leica, after all.) All this of course, is just my own justification
for spending so much money and not doing as thorough research as you
all do (thanks for the list!)  However, you persuade me that
Summicron must be sharper! So I'm thinking Summicron for a 50mm lens.
But, I'm getting the idea (from this list) that I should go with the
older f2 non asph's because they are both a good value and good
performers, vs new 50mm asph.  Has anyone switched from 50mm non-asph
to asph and could you comment on the difference of the resulting
image? Sorry if I missed a proffered website that showed this
comparison.

Denice Martone

- --

Replies: Reply from Lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] 35mm f.2 Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH)