Subject: [Leica] Photokina perspective
From: "Erwin Puts" <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:11:03 +0200

This year's Photokina is most interesting from a longterm perspective. New
developments in all areas, of course, but generally the industry now is
consolidating with gradual improvements. Digital cameras with more pixels,
higher resolution chips, film with less grain and better color accuracy etc.
The important theme, at least in my perspective, is this. Two years ago, the
analogue and digital world were nervously watching each other and the long
term strategy and development and thus future of photography was clouded.
Now we see several very important trends. Culturally, photography as a craft
is widening its scope to an imaging technique, with expanding goals. We now
have a seamless integration of imaging technology in the every-day flow of
actions. Photography has always been conceived as an artform, close in
character to painting, with its own language and techniques. We see now an
increasing integration of imaging technology and information technology
which brings a new way of communication with pictures and new ways of
producing, manipulating and transforming images. The new
"pixel-generation"will use a picture like a short note on the famous yellow
poste-it pieces. A picture is just a remark or a mental note, but always
part of everyday life as a pencil is now. Remember, we are not talking about
dedicated snapshot photoraphers, we are talking here of the mass of people
who in the past only took a few pictures at holiday time.
The future is now undoubtedly digital. Canon in Germany repored that in
value now digital has more than 50% of photographic turnover and 25% of the
number of cameras. Obviously the cheaper P&S cameras are responsible for
this.
That is fine. If digital had not arrived, photography woud be on its way to
extinction as the 8mm movie cameras and film have become.
So I am very happy that the widening of scope, thanks to the pixelisation of
the picture, has happened. With this momentum, the analogue world can
survive and prosper in a reduced market area.  If anything is clear at this
photokina, after talking to scores of companies in all areas, it it this:
Digital will be the platform for the future, but analogue will secure its,
admittedly shrunken, part of the market. Now that digital is the norm,
analogue can reflect on its differences and strengths and define its own
value. I am now sure that analogue will be able to profile its strong points
and secure interest by some companies. Maybe Kodak will drop analogue in a
few years, or reduce its commitment to a few best selling films. But
smaller, special-interest companies will find their very profitable niche in
this market and continue to develop new products. The fully digital route
(capture, manipulation, transfer, distribution), the hybrid route (analogue
capture, digital storage and manipulation and printing) and the fully
analogue route (analogue capture and analogue printing and physical
distribution) will coexist and be used whenever its particular strengths are
required.
Where does this leaves Leica? For now Leica is happy to provide products
that can be used in all three routes, with the main theme in analogue and
hybrid. I still prefer the fully analogue way because of world view,
philosophy and image quality. I see the convenience of the hybrid way, and I
can appreciate the expanding scope of the digital imaging world to pervade
into everyday life as an alternative way of communicating next to words and
language.
Leica lenses are still best used in the fully analogue route as here they
can shine with full force. But the rule now is to find your position
somewhere between absolute excellence and satisfactory imagery. Leica
supports both and adds emotion.
More later.

Erwin

Replies: Reply from "Margaret Jeffcoat" <margaret01@excelonline.com> (Re: [Leica] Photokina perspective)