Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctiluces - was 35mm f.2 Summicron ASPH vs 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:04:15 -0700

I'll weigh in with my Noctilux opinions and experiences.

I've owned one for close to 10 years. I use it almost exclusively with black
and white film, so I can't comment on it's properties for color rendition.
Mine is the version previous to the current one, same optical construction,
but with the detachable hood (which I prefer).

It's big and heavy (by rangefinder standards) and yes, it does block a
portion of the viewfinder.

For me the bottom line is that the Noctilux will consistently allow you to
take pictures that you cannot take with any other lens. No matter what the
lighting conditions, you can always use a slower film or a higher shutter
speed than with any other lens. Once you get the hang of it, you can really
exploit the limited depth of field to highlight exactly what you want in the
picture.

That said, I also find that my failure rate is much higher with the
Noctilux. Focus becomes critical and often a matter of chance. I take at
least twice as many shots when I use the Noctilux. Of course, this is when
I'm shooting at f1.0-1.4, and I seldom use the lens at any other apertures.
The lens does vignette a bit, but I've never found that to be a problem. In
low light situations, you're usually shooting with your subject in the
cetner (or thereabouts) and darkness in the corners anyway.

It is not a lens for the feint of heart. It requires practice and will
produce a lot of shots you're not happy with. But when it works, you'll be
rewarded with shots that could not have been obtained any other way. It's
not the lens I use the most, but it's probably the lens I'd hang onto above
all others.

Bryan