Subject: [Leica] Still confused (was: 35, 90 and now 50mm?)
From: "Bego Mario Garde" <BegoMario.Garde@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:41:27 +0200

"Now I think about buying a 50mm lens. But which one?" was my question two
weeks ago and in the meantime I received many answers from the Leica Users
Group. Thank you very much!

I'm living very close to Cologne and so it was easy for me to visit Leica at
the Photokina. I talked to a very friendly person from Leica about his
opinion and he actually just repeated, what I learned from your answers so
far:
The Summicorn is the best choice for a standard-user regarding sharpness,
low distortion and it generally is fast enough. If I would be willing to pay
double as much for an additional f-stop, I could go for the Summilux. As an
Amateur I probably couldn't see any difference in the quality of both lenses
anyway.
I also took a look at the Elmar M, but I didn't like the handling too much.
And combined with the lens hood it isn't really that much smaller then the
Summicron.

Well. Actually I thought, I made my decision. But while going back home by
train I read an article in an old Leica Fotografie-issue that I bought at
the Photokina: Somebody from the Leica Academy wrote, that one of the
differences between M-Photography and using SLR-Cameras would be, that the
classic Leica-M-User would limit his equipment as far as possible. A 35 mm-
and a 90 mm-lens (which I both own already) would be more then enough.

Now I'm still confused, but on a higher level. :-)

What would you do? "Travel light" and just stick with the 35 and 90mm-lens,
or buy the 50mm Summicron additionaly? What is your experience? Would the
50mm 'cron be a wise completion or just another heavyweight to carry around?

Buying a lens can be pretty difficult. :-)

Bego
- --
http://www.begoundstefanie.de

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com> (Re: [Leica] Still confused (was: 35, 90 and now 50mm?))