Subject: [Leica] OT: Film at the Airport
From: "Bego Mario Garde" <BegoMario.Garde@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:32:02 +0200

Let me try to translate a chapter from the German edition of the "Kodak
Pocket-Guide 2000":

    X-Ray-Controls

    Since a while many airports use X-ray-scanners to check luggage.
    These devices operate with bundled, high-energy X-ray. Already
    after one passage a damage is possible, also from low sensitive
    films. A 1 cm stripe, which runs depending upon position of the
    film in the luggage lengthwise or crosswise, is visible.

    For this reason films should be always transported in the hand
    pastry. The X-ray units used with the person check do not cause
    damage undernormal conditions. Only if films in the lead bag or
    the like are transported, to search the bag the safety personnel
    increases the intensity . Here filmmaterial could likewise take
    damage. The safest way is surely the visual hand check.

(from Kodak Brochure P1, Cat Nr. 7217524, Kodak Professional Devision,
Stuttgart)

> X-ray proof gizmo: Lead-lined bags that claim to protect film
including ISO
> 3200. I double-bag the 3200 and 1600 just to be sure. Seems to work.
Arthur

Well, Arthur, looks, like wrapping your film in lot's of "X-ray proof
gizmos" makes it even worse.

Another question is, if the high radiation during a flight isn't doing
more harm then the X-Ray units they use for person check anyway.

Best regards,

Bego
- --
http://www.begoundstefanie.de