Subject: RE: [Leica] Recommended web site
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 13:27:34 -0400

Oh, pluuuuuleeeeze....First off, Ayn Rand is to serious discussion of
political economic philosophy what the high priest of Scientology is to a
serious discussion a religion - a joke.....Her "philosophy" and novels are
terrifically capitivating if you're a 15-17-year-old in search of
answers...beyond that? Come on.....As to Leni R., I don't know that it makes
sense to include her in this kind of discussion, as she was the film maker
to such an aberant political movement, which is no longer any kind of real
force in world politics - Thank God....

In terms of who is The Capitalist Photographer? On the one hand, Tina is
right...it's who ever is THE vacuous advertising photographer of the moment
who is making the most money....But that also misses the mark, I'm afraid,
as those folks aren't consciously pushing a philosophy of any kind, they are
selling product...which, I know, advances capitalism, but that's not the
purpose of their photos, per se.

As to who is the "anti-Evans," or "anti-Gene Richards" for that matter....I
don't think there is such a person...Unless, as Tina has in effect argued,
you would say that it is any talented, succesful, photographer who squanders
his/her talent on socially meaningless work in return for large lumps of
cash....WAIT!!!!!!....It's....

ANNIE LEIBOVITZ!!!!!!!!!

B. D.