Subject: RE: [Leica] Photokina info... Digital M... when????
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:55:05 +0100

Yeah,
we 'chewed the cud' regarding a possible Leica-M Digital, we all thought it
was a good idea.
They agreed that short of designing a new lens range they ned to make it
work with the range they have but that means chip sizes are at present a
tall order to make work. We figured they'd already spent some time looking
at this possibility and were relieved (I thought, or pleasantly surprised)
that we showed so much positive reaction to the concept. No time frame but
I'd be surprised if all the solutions could be finalised and produced in
the next two years. We hypothesised about what might fill the spool
chambers and how deep the extension to the baseplate could go.

Now I had a small chat with Mr Kobayashi (CEO of Cosina/Voigtlander) and
asked him about his design timing for the lenses etc.
He said the idea takes 10"! The optical designer is given a month, then the
mechanical designer is given a month and after two months he has a
prototype to assess. It's kind of amazing in comparison!

Leica, I'm sure, did not mention anything, on or off the record, that they
did not want us to hear. They remarked they'd learnt their lesson from the
R8 winder (and other items) that people do not want to hear about items
which will not become available for years. they must be able to support the
interest shown from promotion.

Jem