Subject: [Leica] Sakai's Leica
From: "Michael Robertson" <mrobertson@k-online.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 13:02:43 -0700

I have been reading John B. Lundstrom's _The First Team and the
Guadalcanal Campaign_.  Chapter 3 describes the opening of the
battle with the USMC landings and the aerial fights between the US
Navy and the Japanese.  Describing one encounter between Lt.
James J. Southerland and the famous Japanese ace Sakai Saburo
Lundstrom writes:

	Sakai knew he had his man.  Easily slipping onto
	Southerland's tail, he swiftly scanned the sky, then resumed
      the business at hand.  The Grumman's well-finished
      appearance impressed him, and he snapped a photo with his
      hand-held Leica camera.

This was in 1942, I wonder which model he was using.

- --
Michael Robertson
Oceanside CA USA