Subject: [Leica] Jonny Deadman real Leica print! :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:07:32 -0700

Hi folks,

This is in praise of one of the LUG's extra ordinaire street
photographers ! :-)

Our very own Johnny Deadman!

The other day it was my very good fortune to receive a gorgeous B&W real
live  11 X 17 print from his series ... "Human Traffic"  As many of you,
I've looked at the various images Johnny has posted on this series, some
blew me away, others  created questions, awe and, "well OK John, what
the hell is this?"

Often I wondered how good they'd look on real paper, under daylight
scrutinizing as a print and not an electronic image.  Trust me, if all
his prints look anywhere close to the one I now have before me, they are
the fine work of a talented artist!

The print has a tonal richness with a depth I've never seen in wet
darkroom prints. Even prints of fine art shooters don't seem to have the
same depth effect..

Is it the depth of the print tones ( ? ) the film developing (?) the
printer combined with the Piezography (sp) inks?  Whatever, it's a
wonderful new way to look at how to make ones prints. But it's the rich
quality I'm amazed at!.

It's the same kind of rich depth I saw in "Mom" Tina Manley's prints at
the Leica Seminar.  Many of us have admired her work on the screen, but
in real prints her photographs take on a whole new meaning of richness
and feeling, the likes no screen on earth can match!

B.D. showed me a portfolio of smaller prints on 8 1/2 X 11 heavy duty
paper illustrating a similar rich depth of quality.  So what do we learn
from these three fine photographers?   A new day has dawned in the world
of printing where you don't have to turn out the lights and mix
chemicals!  Gawd I'll miss it! ;-)

It's not too often I get wound up on new fangled photographic methods,
however, in all seriousness those who've pooh poohed this dry print
method, including yours truly, we might just take another look, as it's
quite remarkable.

Now back to our Johnny Deadman....  Thank you for a wonderful photograph !

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu> (Re: [Leica] Jonny Deadman real Leica print! :-))